Thursday, January 19, 2012

Show Me the MONEY!

It's no secret that storing food and supplies CAN be extremely expensive. But with good planning, research, and savings, it really doesn't have to be. And there is a fool proof way to be sure the money is there when you need it. I try my best to work within a budgeted amount set aside just for food storage. I've written about budgeting inside of budgets before. I cannot stress enough how important this concept is. Breaking down the allotted monies for various needs and then adding the element of savings to those monies is essential to having the funds you need when you need them. For instance:

Let's say you have $300 a pay period for household needs.

First make a list of those needs and assign a dollar amount to each category:

BABY - $40 (bi-weekly) $80 (monthly)

FOOD - $260 (bi-weekly)

Then break down your categories even further:

BABY (monthly purchases)
Diapers - $40
Wipes - $20
Pull-ups - $20
These items are expensive and rarely go on sale, no room in this category for savings until baby grows out of these needs.

FOOD
Week 1 Groceries - $100
Week 2 Groceries - $100
Food Storage - $60 (bi-weekly purchases)

Include savings for these categories:

FOOD
$90 to spend now, $10 to save for future
Week 1 Groceries - $15 snacks and treats, $15 Staples (milk, eggs, bread, cereal), $30 meats or proteins, $20 Fresh Produce, $10 extras needed for the week's dinner menu.

$90 to spend now, $10 to save for future
Week 2 Groceries - $15 snacks and treats, $15 Staples (milk, eggs, bread, cereal), $30 meats or proteins, $20 Fresh Produce, $10 extras needed for the week's dinner menu.

$50 Food Storage, $10 to save for future
This pay period you might be low on canned fruits and vegetables:
$20 canned Green Beans, $30 canned Pears.

The "Save for Future" Grocery monies are then set aside for the things that need to be purchased once every few months.

Things like: Cleaning supplies, toilet paper, kleenex, shampoo, soaps, etc.

The "Save for Future" Food Storage monies are set aside for large price tag purchases made every 6 to 12 months. Or the steal of a deal opportunity that arises unexpectedly. (But falls within the food storage bounds, of course.)

Things like: Case lot sales, incredibly priced meat, vegetables, or fruit that you want 40lbs of for canning, or a piece of provident living equipment you found on sale and have been needing.

The $ amounts used in this example can, of course, be adjusted to your own situation and needs. The list of categories is longer at my house than what is listed above. I'm just trying to show the concept here.

By including assigned savings within your budgeting, you won't ever have to sacrifice milk money to buy 25 boxes of cereal when the price per ounce just can't be beat. Or give up purchasing fresh produce for the week because EVERYBODY needs new toothbrushes at the same time AND you're out of laundry and dishwasher soap as well.

I'm a big fan of the envelope system and use it religiously. This post, however, is prompted by my LACK of proper planning these last few months. I have been following my budget plan, but without the savings portion. I used to save like this without fail and always had what I needed when I needed it. But here I am, having not saved well and wouldn't you know it:

This week alone I had a Food Dehydrator I've been wanting offered to me, used, at a really great price. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts are on sale at Buy-Low for $1.38 a pound! My friend who orders spices from San Francisco Herbs Co., (GREAT quality for KILLER prices) is placing an order and I have 8 different items I need to get into that order. If I had followed my own savings plan, I would not feel any stress over this and would be completely prepared. But instead I'm learning a lesson and being reminded that savings and preparation is always key! As it stands I am having to figure out how to make this all happen, which means I'll probably have to cut corners on my usual staples shopping. Or just plain miss out on a great opportunity. When I should be able to open up my savings envelopes and have no problem making it all happen. Just something to consider.

3 comments:

  1. Do you coupon to save even more money? Just curious. I have a friend here in the ward the coupons and she gets AMAZING food deals that are free or close to free for her food storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much do you spend on the bags to store the meals in? Do you make a recipe tag for each bag and laminate it or do you just label the bag and have a binder with the recipes to save on cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who also has BIG successes with couponing. I admit that bug hasn't bit me yet. I'm OCD about adds though. Every week I go through all the store and sales adds, and if there happens to be a coupon that applies to my needs at that time, I definitely use it. I just don't save or organize coupons like those awesome die hards out there.

    The bags cost me about $0.48 each. I could buy less expensive paper bags, but like the plastic for extra protection. Because I give so many meals away, I do tag EVERY bag. That way the recipient has all the info they need to make the meal. But keeping a binder is a brilliant plan! That is definitely an Idea I might start incorporating into my own system. I could do less tags for my family meals and just tag the ones I use for compassionate service or gifts. LOVE IT! I also love that you get the concept and have creatively found something that makes it more your own. Way to go Sis!

    ReplyDelete