Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Prepare For Anything

Last Mothers' Day I was blessed with an item off of my wish list as a gift. My husband and kids surprised me with a Food Saver. I'd been wishing for one of these for a few of reasons. My mom has had one for a few years now and has loved it. She has shared with me how often she uses it and that it has become an important part of her daily food prep and storing routines. I also attended a food storage presentation my friend Irene gave that included being able to store dry ingredients in a canning jar using the Food Saver to seal it. I was sure at that point that I WANTED one. It was when I cooked my first Indian Curry Haystack bag meal that convinced me I NEEDED one.

I opened the craisins, coconut, almonds, and chowmein noodles to find it had gone a little stale. They had only been in storage for a short time and although it was still edible and tasted okay, it bummed me out! If it couldn't make it past a few weeks, how would it turn out after a couple of months!?


I have started Food Saving the unsealed items in the bag meals. Here you have two meals as an example.

Poppy Seed Chicken requires crackers. It would not be as tasty if the crackers weren't crisp!


The other purpose for Food Saving unsealed items is to water proof as well. I keep my food storage in the basement. If my basement floods, I could be out hundreds of dollars of food. So anything that could be ruined by water, or infested by pests, is now air tight and perfectly preserved! This helps me to rest easier, knowing that I could forge a river with this food and not loose a bite of it. That's pretty cool!

1 comment:

  1. Fun you have a food savor! Nate's Mom uses hers all the time to freeze food.

    ReplyDelete