Thursday, December 29, 2011

Translation Please... Oh, That Was Easy!

I want you to know that Bag Mealing can be fun! I had a really great time the other day, going through my cookbooks and the recipes friends have given me. As you know, I currently have 7 different types of Meals. All of these recipes have been given to me by my friend, Heather. Once I have them all updated and complete, I will have 112 bags of food! I am currently 10 short of reaching that number. These 10 bags will be my priority this week and next, now that we've made it through the end of the year Holidays! But in order to create a long term goal and plan, I need to look ahead and create recipes for the meals I'll be bagging in the future. This is the part that gets you feeling pretty smart!

Make a list of the favorite meals in your house, and try to translate the ingredients over to ingredients that can be stored long term. If it calls for Chicken Breast, use Canned Chicken (this goes for almost any meat, just be sure to use good quality and trusted brands or your own canned meats); If you need milk, try evaporated or powdered milk; Eggs - powdered eggs; Did you know they make Powdered Butter!? Fresh Herbs, use a lesser amount of Dried Herbs. Then TEST IT! Make the recipe Storage and Flavor Perfect, BEFORE buying 10 (or in my case 16) of everything! Here is the list of meals I came up with. Many of these can be Freezer meals too! As I test each of these, I'll report on how well or lousy they turn out. This will be FUN!

All American Spaghetti
Beef Stroganoff
Pizza
Stuffing Casserole
Apricot Chicken
Tortilla Soup
Rice and Beans
Shredded BBQ Chicken or Pork
Chicken Chimichangas or Enchiladas
Shepherd's Pie
Tomato Basil Soup w/ Garlic & Herb Bread
Mexican Beef Stew
Beefy Spanish Rice
Cranberry Chicken
Chicken Alfredo Linguini
Southwest Chicken or Turkey Stew

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brandy,

    I like seeing your progess!

    I have a whole stack of papers with freezer meals recipes if you are interested...they could probably work as bag meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liss! I'd love to take a look at 'em!

    ReplyDelete