Saturday, January 12, 2013

Keeping on Track

I thought I'd make some observations and let everyone know how my current fitness plan is going. I'm two weeks in and so far things are going well.  Although Week 2 handed me some challenges that Week 1 was clear of, I'm still feeling great and optimistic about my workout schedule. See the post titled Healthy Life, Healthy Wife for more details on my exact program.

Week 1 - The workouts were fairly simple. I started to feel sore about day 3 and got really amped up about that.  I LOVE that sore feeling!  I found it easier to get my workout in first thing in the morning.  I first thought I'd get up early, but then I remembered... I'm NOT a morning person.  Instead, I get up the same time I always have and still make sure my kids' get ready for school and out the door on time. In between the "get dressed, finish your breakfast, brush your teeth" requests, I was doing reps! Then after my oldest is safely at school, I head into my office and hop on my eliptical machine to tackle the cardio portion of the daily goal. Showered and dressed by 10:30am, I'm ready for the rest of my day and my conscience is clear.

Week 2 - The workouts are much harder.  Those reps are adding up FAST! The cardio, a couple of times, feels like the longest 35 min. of my life. BUT... The sense of accomplishment and power over the mind is much greater than before.  I'm sore EVERYDAY, but again, not a negative!  My husband leaves for Seattle on Sunday, scheduled to return Friday evening.  The nights are longer since he is usually the one that gets up if a child needs help or comforting. Not this week, I'm on day/night 24 - 7 duty.  By Wednesday, I'm feeling really proud of myself for sticking with it even on the one morning my mind was screaming "NO!!!", but my body was cool with it.
Then Wednesday afternoon hits. I fall on my knee after I run about 5 blocks trying to catch my dog that loves to run away! OUCH!!! Instantly my knee swells and starts to bruise.  Thursday morning it hurts SO bad AND my children ALL have a fever.  Not happening today! Friday, still hurts and kids still sick. Again Not happening.
That brings us to today! With my hubby back home, and a day off for myself, I took my workout to the gym. I love that I can do this plan of mine either at the gym or my house. Because I missed a couple of days, I had to decide if I'd pick-up where I left off, or start where I was scheduled to be.  I decided to do the reps and cardio numbers meant for today. Plus a little extra, since my knee was feeling better and I had taken two rest days in a row.  The gym rocked and I loved it. 50 minutes of cardio, 135 leg reps, 220 core reps, and 110 arm reps. It felt GREAT! And I feel like I'm right on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment