Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Storing Meals - What I've Learned (so far)

I've come to realize that my friend who introduced me to the idea of Bag Meals, did me a HUGE service.  Through the process of learning, trying, adjusting, and assembling these meals, I've figured out something it takes most people YEARS to learn. I know, for the most part, what works for my family AND how to plan food storage around meals and recipes, rather than items and pounds. This has been an enlightening journey that I hope I can continue to share with people around me.

Through the repetition of "Bag Meal" recipe shopping and assembly, I have also learned that I don't NEED to have EVERYTHING in bags.  Sure it's the simplest way to assure a well proportioned storage system. But it's not the ONLY way.  My sister-in-law, Alissa, asked if I had considered keeping my recipes in a binder and just labeling the bags to save on paper and laminating sheets. This got me thinking... I prefer to have a printed  full recipe label attached when I gift the meals, but do I actually need to tag EVERY SINGLE BAG? Not really.  Then I wonder... Do I actually need to bag EVERY SINGLE MEAL? Again, Not really. The thing that makes these meals so quick and easy is not that the cans of food are already pre-gathered.  It's that the herbs and spices are already pre-measured! So, a second option of organization enters the picture.

One could create a binder and keep a detailed log of the canned goods and other items needed, purchased, and used for each meal, while storing them within their respective spaces on the storage shelves. Measuring out the Seasoning Packets could be the primary focus of preparation and assembly. Labeling each packet and keeping the packets in a designated location of their own. The Bag Meal Binder would serve as a reference for both recipes AND inventory of ingredients.

I'm working on this idea, while still making sure I have a good supply of full meals assembled in bags. Either way, when creating your food storage system, ALWAYS keep MEALS in mind. Your family will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment